Outros sites Medialivre
Caldeirão da Bolsa

Winning the loser's game

Espaço dedicado a todo o tipo de troca de impressões sobre os mercados financeiros e ao que possa condicionar o desempenho dos mesmos.

por VirtuaGod » 16/12/2012 21:58

ghorez Escreveu:86.3% em 6 anos, passado pelo crash de 2008 e pelo mini crash de 2011, é muito muito bom. Que acham?

Adoro. É onde me foco mais em termos de acções e o VDC é muito bom na minha opinião. Pena que tenha de o "emular" via fundos como o Eurizon e afins. Prefiro ETFs mas sem cão tenho de caçar com gato!! :mrgreen:
Artigos e estudos: Página repositório dos meus estudos e análises que vou fazendo. Regularmente actualizada. É costume pelo menos mais um estudo por semana. Inclui a análise e acompanhamento das carteiras 4 e 8Fundos.
Portfolio Analyser: Ferramenta para backtests de Fundos e ETFs Europeus

"We don’t need a crystal ball to be successful investors. However, investing as if you have one is almost guaranteed to lead to sub-par results." The Irrelevant Investor

Registado: 20/11/2002 21:56

por Pata-Hari » 16/12/2012 21:29

LTCM, e uma carteira composta com activos ponderados por peso dos PIBS das respectivas zonas geográficas no PIB mundial? à medida que as economias vão crescendo, maior a ponderação na carteira total. Coloco a questão porque o que vi das tuas sugestões tem um bias grande para os estados unidos (que ainda por cima já estão outra vez em máximos históricos, tornando o timing de entrada menos entusiasmante - e simultaneamente menos assustador, já que sentimos sempre maior segurança nos topos e menos confiança nos mínimos).

Como é que farias isso garantindo que apesar de te estares a focar em equity tens um bom mix de protecção em obrigações?
Administrador Fórum

Registado: 25/10/2002 17:02

por ghorez » 16/12/2012 21:00

Grande vídeo do William Ackman..que com os exemplos finais da Coca Cola e MacDonalds chamou a minha atenção para um sector que nem tinha olhado pois pensava ser muito volátil: "Consumer Staples".
Afinal estava redondamente enganado.

Por exemplo se testarem o ETF da Vanguard (ticker: VDC) no etfreplay e tiverem como referência o S&P500, o total return para um período de 3 JAN 2006 até 14 DEZ 2012 é nada mais nada menos que 86.3% (S&P500=28.8%) para uma volatilidade de 15.3% (S&P500=23.3%).

86.3% em 6 anos, passado pelo crash de 2008 e pelo mini crash de 2011, é muito muito bom. Que acham?

LTCM uma vez mais, faltam as palavras para classificar a qualidade das tuas intervenções. Vou tentar uma: brilhante.

Registado: 25/9/2012 10:49

por Tridion » 16/12/2012 20:07

Nunca pensei que alguém plagiasse um documento que é de livre acesso a todos os que o querem ler!

Este é um mundo cão :x

Pelo menos ainda temos boas pessoas como o LTCM que colocam equilíbrio neste mundo!

Bem-hajas por continuares a partilhar os teus conhecimentos.

Registado: 13/5/2010 17:53

por LTCM » 16/12/2012 20:00

THE stockmarket is bewildering. So it is hardly surprising that investors turn to professional fund managers for help. But when they do, they face a paradox. Since the market is dominated by professional managers, the average fund manager will earn the index return, minus costs. Since the index does not reflect the impact of costs, investors are doomed, on average, to underperform the market.

The answer is to pick a fund manager who is better than average. But although you know which managers have beaten the market in the past, you cannot know which will do so in the future. Or can you? Some studies have found that strong mutual-fund performance can persist for 2-3 years, long enough for small investors to take advantage. And a recent survey* by Simon Evan-Cook of Premier Funds suggests that British retail investors may do better than the averages suggest.

That is because conventional benchmarks average the performance of all funds in their sectors, regardless of their size. As a result, a fund with just £1m of funds under management has the same weight as a fund with £1 billion. But the experience of the average investor is clearly driven more by the performance of the largest funds. Weight the funds by size and you get a different perspective. In the five years to June, the conventionally calculated average return of emerging-market funds was 23.9%, well below the index return of 27.4%. But the asset-weighted return was 32.2%.

Mr Evan-Cook suggests that the fixed costs of fund management weigh more heavily on small funds. Big funds achieve economies of scale. So should investors simply focus on the largest mutual funds?

Unfortunately, this simple rule is not the answer. Mr Evan-Cook’s data show that, in some sectors, the asset-weighted average returns were worse than those of both the index and the conventional average. Other studies have suggested that increased fund size can sometimes lead to lower returns, particularly when the fund invests in illiquid securities such as the shares of small firms. A large fund finds that its buy-and-sell decisions have a big impact on market prices, hurting returns.

Investors are dogged by another paradox. Assume for a moment that outperformance is entirely due to luck but that retail investors do not realise this. They look at the five-year records of funds and pile into the ones which have beaten the index. Those funds suddenly expand in size and, over the next five years, half of them beat the market as well. Over time, and purely by chance, you will have a small number of large outperformers.

Eventually, however, those funds will have a bad year and investors will desert them. So their worst period of performance will occur at the moment when most money is invested in the fund.

Sure enough, a 2006 study by Morningstar, a research firm, found that the asset-weighted returns of American mutual-fund investors were generally worse than the reported sector average. A prime example was the technology sector where, at the time, the ten-year average annual return was a respectable 6.4%. But because most retail investors had piled in at the peak of the dotcom bubble, the asset-weighted return was minus 4.2% a year.

How to reconcile these data with the academic finding that fund managers can still persistently outperform? One answer could be “momentum”, the phenomenon that sees the best-performing stocks of one period continue to outperform over subsequent months. In a recent article in Central Banking Journal, Paul Woolley and Dimitri Vayanos of the London School of Economics explain momentum as follows. Investors select fund managers on the basis of their recent performance. Those managers take the cashflows and invest them in their favourite stocks. By definition the favourite stocks of top-performing fund managers will already have done well; the new buying pressure means they will continue to do so. As a result such fund managers will keep outperforming.

Eventually this outperformance comes to an end. The momentum effect seems to reverse after 2-3 years. When it does fund managers rush to sell the stock. The effect is both to drive the share price down further and to damage the performance of the previously successful managers. Woe betide the small investor who gets sucked into investing in the “star” fund at just that moment. As someone once said, past performance is not a reliable guide to future returns.
Remember the Golden Rule: Those who have the gold make the rules.
"A soberania e o respeito de Portugal impõem que neste lugar se erga um Forte, e isso é obra e serviço dos homens de El-Rei nosso senhor e, como tal, por mais duro, por mais difícil e por mais trabalhoso que isso dê, (...) é serviço de Portugal. E tem que se cumprir."

Registado: 28/2/2007 14:18

William Ackman: Everything You Need to Know

por LTCM » 16/12/2012 13:46

About Finance and Investing in Under an Hour.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WEDIj9JBTC8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"A soberania e o respeito de Portugal impõem que neste lugar se erga um Forte, e isso é obra e serviço dos homens de El-Rei nosso senhor e, como tal, por mais duro, por mais difícil e por mais trabalhoso que isso dê, (...) é serviço de Portugal. E tem que se cumprir."

por Pata-Hari » 16/12/2012 0:49

bem, podemos sempre fazer um ataque de spam chateando os tipos que abusivamente usaram o conteúdo. Ups! eu não disse isto! Mas lá que isso se pode fazer, pode. Não há anda de errado em chamar os bois pelos nomes.
Administrador Fórum

por joaopedroinvestidor » 15/12/2012 22:47

Registado: 4/5/2007 18:58

por VirtuaGod » 15/12/2012 22:42

Manushe Escreveu:Jura????

Está na moda Manushe, e ser o mesmo fórum é só coincidência... ou não :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Artigos e estudos: Página repositório dos meus estudos e análises que vou fazendo. Regularmente actualizada. É costume pelo menos mais um estudo por semana. Inclui a análise e acompanhamento das carteiras 4 e 8Fundos.

"We don’t need a crystal ball to be successful investors. However, investing as if you have one is almost guaranteed to lead to sub-par results." The Irrelevant Investor

por SIRS » 15/12/2012 22:33

Pata-Hari Escreveu:Eu não encontrei o pdf, com pena.

LTCM, falaste com o moderador desse fórum? eu pesquisei no google e não encontrei nada...

Também não... Com pena... ;)

Se bem me recordo, há bastante tempo atrás alguém falou de ter passado todo o tópico para formato Word.

Quando o tópico foi encerrado achei deselegante estar a levantar essa possibilidade. Visto o coelho já estar fora da cartola... ;)

Cumprimentos

Registado: 11/10/2004 22:21

por LTCM » 15/12/2012 22:27

Pata-Hari Escreveu:Eu não encontrei o pdf, com pena.

LTCM, falaste com o moderador desse fórum? eu pesquisei no google e não encontrei nada...

tens uma mp
Editado pela última vez por LTCM em 15/12/2012 22:35, num total de 1 vez.

por Pata-Hari » 15/12/2012 22:12

Eu não encontrei o pdf, com pena.

Administrador Fórum

por Manushe » 15/12/2012 21:17

LTCM Escreveu:Ou em alternativa vais encontrar ainda um outro fórum, com um tópico muito parecido com o do CdB - não sou eu o autor -, que tem por base tudo o que foi postado no tópico “Enriquecer Devagar”. :?

Jura????
Não posso crer... Pensei que eras tu a responder!
Deselegante, no mínimo!
"You can sedate all the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you cannot sedate all of the people all of the time."

"É uma infelicidade da nossa época....que os doidos guiem os cegos."
William Shakespeare

Registado: 9/10/2012 15:19

por LTCM » 15/12/2012 20:55

VirtuaGod Escreveu:
Tridion Escreveu:O que aconteceu ao início do tópico!? Faltam partes :(

O LTCM apagou os posts dele

Tridion Escreveu:Onde é que eu as posso encontrar?

VirtuaGod Escreveu:Dava jeito que lesses mentes... de preferência à distância :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

Tridion se quiseres ler todos os post's do tópico basta pesquisar no google por “Enriquecer Devagar” e vais encontrar um PDF com tudo o que escrevi no CdB e que alguém teve a elegância de surripiar e colocar noutro fórum.:shock:

Ou em alternativa vais encontrar ainda um outro fórum, com um tópico muito parecido com o do CdB - não sou eu o autor -, que tem por base tudo o que foi postado no tópico “Enriquecer Devagar”. :?

por VirtuaGod » 15/12/2012 20:31

Tridion Escreveu:O que aconteceu ao início do tópico!? Faltam partes :(

O LTCM apagou os posts dele[/quote]

Tridion Escreveu:Onde é que eu as posso encontrar?

Dava jeito que lesses mentes... de preferência à distância :mrgreen:

por Tridion » 15/12/2012 17:31

O que aconteceu ao início do tópico!? Faltam partes :(

Onde é que eu as posso encontrar?

Obrigado.

por Tridion » 14/12/2012 20:30

ETFs vs Stocks - Which Is Right for You?
December 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM | written by Greg Schnell
I received this question today from a regular reader. It's a great question!

Greg, I read your articles regularly - Arthur's and John's articles as well. Thanks for the great charts and interpretation of them. It has really helped me over the last few years.

I am still looking for the magic bullet trading style though. I've been trading ETF's for years, but wondering about stocks? Is one better?

- C.M., Toronto

First of all, let's discuss the question a little bit before answering it...

The benefit of trading ETFs is that they take the volatility out of the trend because they average individual stocks. You are less subject to management problems, a single company earnings miss, etc. The problem is that you get the average performance and can miss out on high flying stocks that outpace.

One of the reasons the 2x ETFs have been popular is that you can trade their moves with more directional strength. So if you are in the strongest sectors, you enjoy the ride. But if your 2x sector ETF just meanders, you end up losing because of the way they are calculated daily. So poor performance compounds the underperformance.

For a relatively new investor, I would suggest looking at the regular ETFs that you can find in the "ETF SCTRs" box on StockCharts' home page. But even experienced investors can benefit from this box. I've found this box to be golden.

By being aware of the strongest ETF sectors every day, you get in tune with the market. New groups pushing up into the strongest list (both the "Top 10" list and the "Top Up" list) can stay there for months. Study those lists frequently.

If you want to play individual stocks, and I use those too, then make sure they are in new strong sectors. How do you know if its a new strong sector? Well, you need to use our Sector Summary page which I'll show how to find below. Because you are clicking on the Sector Summary every week and seeing the rotation and drilling down, you'll notice that some things being served up show a new trend. Like Lumber and Homebuilders, Appliances and Realty all moving to the top might show Housing is strong. But then you own Ainsworth Lumber and got hit by a load of 2 x4's last week. (Another example of why I like the ETF better!)

So, when you are watching the sectors, you can also look at performance for the last month, etc. You will see it is Utilities for the last month. It looks to me like things are changing to new bull market mode. Why? You'll see Industrials and Materials on the weekly list.

So, where is this amazing list located? The Sector Summary link is located inconspicuously below the yellow chart box on the StockCharts home page. I would have drawn a yellow brick road leading up to the button saying click here, but I'm not an artist! I am a chartist! So here is a screen clip!

After you click on the Sector Summary link, set the dropdown box at the top of the page to "One Week" then check out the list. For instance, you can see that this week Materials and Industrials are starting to outperform. That should happen in a new bull market.

So let's say you like Materials. Go ahead and click on Materials. From within Materials you should see the following:

Click through the top 5 to get a feel for what is going on. Notice where Gold is on this list. Mental note inserted. Avoid the sector till it gets better! 50% of a stocks gain is by being in the strong sector. The reason for this is the market makers tend to work within an industry specialty. So they are market making multiple stocks in Uranium as an example. All the Uranium stocks start to move up as they see the sector performance change. So even a company with no news on the day, might move. Why? Because other stocks within the sector have news on the day and these market makers see the bids moving to other stocks in the sector. Makes sense. In the pit trading days, all the industrials are traded in the pit(or at the post) together.You can imagine how fast the news travelled across pit traders. There is a different pit (group of market makers) for financials, a different pit for healthcare, as an example.

So let's continue. Here is another example, Non-Ferrous Metals:

Currently I own Teck Resources. Perhaps I see that there might be faster profits if I owned HudBay Minerals or Dennison Mines. I click in and check the charts. Dennison and Cameco are both having a good week and they are Uranium. So go check out other Uranium stocks. Now you are hunting..

You can keep filtering. Currently, Turquoise Hill, HudBay, Horsehead Holdings all look better than the Uranium stocks based on this list. I gather Horsehead Holdings is Zinc based on its ticker..you explore here. Gees, I heard Zinc on BNN this morning. Now, go look at the chart patterns. What is breaking out? What has broken out and is moving on up? Which ones do you like and want to enter based on the chart pattern. Seeing any volume? It's near Christmas so volume is hard to find. But I've mentined before, low volume has led the last 3 rallies! Are you more comfortable just trading an ETF?

So you can either invest in a Materials ETF, or pick strong stocks with the sector.

Hope that helps. Let's make 2913 a very profitable year. Let's throw out the losers and ride the winners! Using this approach I outlined above should get you into winning trades more often.

Wasn't sure if you noticed both John and Arthur have just come out with new books on chart analysis and trading. You can check them out on my favorite technical book site, The StockCharts Store.

Finally, remember that StockCharts University classes are full of tips like this. Check out the upcoming classes on this page.

Good Trading!
Greg Schnell, CMT

por MAV8 » 14/12/2012 0:52

Pata-Hari Escreveu:Legalmente as contas de menores têm muitas restrições. Em termos práticos presumo que seja pouco controlado, sobretudo agora que muitas transacções são feitas via net. Eu abriria em meu nome deixando escrito que a conta X é para o filho X` e a conta Y para o filho Y´.

A conta de que falo tem dois titulares, um menor (1º Titular) e um maior que não tem qualquer restrição.
Aliás quando abri a conta fi-lo depois de consultar o banco sobre as limitações que teria na negociação de ativos financeiros e foi-me dito que sendo co-titular da conta não teria qualquer restrição.

O problema só se dá em contas de um único titular (menor) em que o adulto é representante legal mas não é titular. Neste caso sim, há vários tipos de restrição.

Registado: 10/11/2006 10:43

por Pata-Hari » 14/12/2012 0:46

Legalmente as contas de menores têm muitas restrições. Em termos práticos presumo que seja pouco controlado, sobretudo agora que muitas transacções são feitas via net. Eu abriria em meu nome deixando escrito que a conta X é para o filho X` e a conta Y para o filho Y´.
Administrador Fórum

por chico_laranja » 13/12/2012 16:48

Eu tenho assim uma conta para a minha filha.

Eu sou co-titular.

Em contas jovens não se podem negociar acções, fundos e afins.

Pelo que me disseram no banco é uma imposição legal.

Registado: 29/11/2007 2:37

Re: Portfoleo p/ menores

por Figueiraa1 » 13/12/2012 8:12

MAV8 Escreveu:
Figueiraa1 Escreveu:É possível abrir uma conta numa correctora online para ir construindo um portfóleo de poupança para filhos menores de idade?

P.S. - LTCM, peço desculpa pelo OT.

Sim é possivel, mas tem de haver um adulto co-titular para movimentar a conta até aos 18 anos da criança.

No meu caso tenho uma conta no BIG em nome do meu filho na qual eu sou o co-titular e responsavel pela gestão.

Quanto a contas de um único titular penso que não é possivel fazer para menores.

Abraço

Obrigado Mav.
A Woman is the most valuable asset a man will ever own, it's only a shame that some of us only realise that when she is gone..

Registado: 26/3/2011 9:55

por frugal » 12/12/2012 20:17

MAV8 Escreveu:
Figueiraa1 Escreveu:É possível abrir uma conta numa correctora online para ir construindo um portfóleo de poupança para filhos menores de idade?

Sim é possivel, mas tem de haver um adulto co-titular para movimentar a conta até aos 18 anos da criança.

No meu caso tenho uma conta no BIG em nome do meu filho na qual eu sou o co-titular e responsavel pela gestão.

Quanto a contas de um único titular penso que não é possivel fazer para menores.

Abraço

Boa noite
Qual ou quais as vantagens de o fazer?

Cumprimento

Registado: 16/9/2012 22:36

por MAV8 » 12/12/2012 19:12

Abraço

Registado: 10/11/2006 10:43

PerTrac's Investment Statistics

por LTCM » 11/12/2012 20:17

por LTCM » 11/12/2012 18:56

Before investing in an ETF, you should read both its summary prospectus and its full prospectus, which provide detailed information on the ETF’s investment objective, principal investment strategies, risks, costs, and historical performance (if any). The SEC’s EDGAR system, as well as Internet search engines, can help you locate a specific ETF prospectus. You can also find prospectuses on the websites of the financial firms that sponsor a particular ETF, as well as through your broker.

Be sure to do your research before purchasing an ETF. Before purchasing an ETF, you may wish to think about:

How the ETF achieves its stated objectives and whether those objectives are consistent with your goals.
Whether the risks associated with a particular ETF are within your tolerance for risk.
The amount of brokerage commissions you may pay when buying and selling ETF shares.
The other costs of owning an ETF, such as annual operating fees and expenses, and to what extent those fees have historically affected, and may affect, the ETF’s performance.
Whether your investment needs are better served by investing in an ETF or in a corresponding mutual fund.

Do not invest in something that you do not understand. If you cannot explain the investment opportunity in a few words and in an understandable way, you may need to reconsider the potential investment.

Finally, you may wish to consider seeking the advice of an investment professional. If you do, be sure to work with someone who understands your investment objectives and tolerance for risk. Your investment professional should understand complex products and be able to explain to your satisfaction whether or how they fit with your objectives.

AnteriorPróximo

Quem está ligado:
Utilizadores a ver este Fórum: aaugustobb_69, Bing [Bot], GamesOver, Google Adsense [Bot], Xacal e 140 visitantes